Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Crazy Weekend!




Hello. Hope everyone had a great weekend! I had a crazy one! I will try to keep this short, but a lot happened!!
We got up early on Saturday and had a big breakfast. It has finally happened, we went through 18 eggs! This family can eat! We got everyone bathed and ready to go. Then we had planned on getting our swim passes. When we got to the pool we saw the sign that said they weren't selling until after 3. So, we waited. I left the pool around 3:30 to go pick up Miss Lauren. She stayed with us Saturday night so that Joe and Abby could go to a benefit for a co-worker of Joes. We would have liked to go as well, but the day care cost would have been crazy! So, instead we took Lauren so that they could enjoy! She, by the way, was a GREAT baby. She slept well and boy can she eat! I am used to babies that don't know how to eat with a bottle, so it was nice to have one take it right away. Reagan likes to grab her, so we kept them away from each other. It will be nice when they can play together.
After everyone was in bed Gerrick and I watched Napoleon Dynamite. I will never have those 90 minutes back. I was waiting for the great part, but it never came. Maybe I am too old to appreciate it?
When Gerrick and I were in bed, the phone rang. It was my Dad. He told me that my Grandma had been taken to the hospital with chest pains. They said she was doing OK, and would probably be fine. I was a little worried just because she is 91. Anything could be difficult to recover from at that age. But, she is in great shape. She still lives on her own, and drives!
Dad told us that when the doctors asked her to asses her pain, she said it was a 10. Then after the medication she gave her pain an 8 and said she should probably go home. The doctors then said to hide her clothes! Typical Grandma, no fuss!
Sunday we took all 6 kids to church. We were fine, except there is not enough room for all in the van. So, Mom sat on the floor in the back. Some of you might have noticed that I have anxiety issues. All I could think of was being T-boned and being crushed. I'm not saying I am sane!
After church we headed up to Cedar Falls to return Lauren and see Grandma. The sitting on the van floor thing was difficult for 1 hour ! Grandma looked great. She is really a great women. I look up to her for a lot of things she has done. She raised 10 boys and 2 girls. That is amazing. I think, at last count, she had 170+ living descendants.
Monday we went to go to the pool. That was comical. Cedar Rapids decided that they would only open one pool. That was not a great idea. The pool opened at 1 and we got there at 1:20 and the lines were 2 blocks long. So, we drove around to find a less packed pool because we didn't know they were close. Our kids hated us! We then went to Wal-Mart and bought 2 pools for the back yard. Then the kids loved us again. However, it took us quite awhile to blow them up. We do have an air compressor, but, as with everything, the kids broke it.
Around midnight Dad called again. Grandma wasn't doing well. She had had some pain in her back and belly and was having trouble breathing. The doctors said for the family to be told to get there. I started packing my bags. Around 12:30 a.m. Abby called and said she thought it was just a few separate things, not one big problem. She thought I should wait until morning before coming. Thankfully Grandma is doing much better. They did some tests, and she is not bleeding internally. She is also eating and doing well. That was great news!!
My Mom and Step-Dad also got home this weekend. They were out in the Ocean all week. Glad to see they had a great vacation. They sent some great pictures!
Well, time to catch up on the house work. I try not be obsessed with a clean house on the weekends. I enjoy my family much more when I am not consumed with laundry and such.

OH, P.S., My garden looks great! I think this year will be great for it. The onions, beans, peas, squash, zucchini, cucumbers, lettuce, and carrots are already poking out!

3 comments:

Big Hawkeye Fans! said...

Dean called Adam about Grandma Carney yesterday and we have been thinking about all of you and we hope that she is doing well. Take care, Steph and family

Anonymous said...

Nice idea with this site its better than most of the rubbish I come across.
»

Anonymous said...

I say briefly: Best! Useful information. Good job guys.
»